Monday, July 27, 2015

Testing and Assessments

For Unit Three of this course we explored various testing/quizzing assessment gathering websites and tools. I think that at times we over test everyone. Yet as an educator there are ways to test that are relevant, engaging and useful for both the students and the teacher. I am a strong believer in keeping student focus and engagement throughout the entire class time. For this reason  I often begin my class with a warm-up activity. These various websites provide a way to quickly assess students in real time and see where they are weak and where they are proficient. At the end of class sometimes I wonder how much of the information students really absorbed and can apply. These websites provide quick access and an exit ticket type activity that in a sense "grades" itself. I can see that using these tools will help me be a more effective teacher especially if integrated in a fun and creative manner.

Please help me out and take my Technology Implementation Survey Monkey at the following
link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/X9L9CBN

Overall, I found this part of the unit very useful and showed me that there are many options available for assessment. Below is my analysis if the various testing tools:
       As a teacher I am always looking for opportunities to assess my students in genuine ways that gives real time data that can be used as a class on the whole (simultaneous usage) and on an individual students and time basis (Asynchronous) manners. The following choices were provided for us to explore and possibly integrate into our classrooms or jobs. These are my evaluations of the following environments:
    • I really like this tool and have used it as student before when completing a previous college course. I have not used it in the classroom because at times the site is blocked for the students on their tablets. This is the tool I decided to use for this course.
  •  Quipper.com 
    http://www.quipper.com/ (quiz-based e-learning mobile app for iPhone and Android platforms)
    • This site is very involved and has too many components for this course. I do use something similar to this, Schoology, in my classroom and don’t feel learning about it at this time would be beneficial.
  • Socrative
    http://www.socrative.com/  (Provides an easy and  user-friendly  student response system )
    • I have used Socrative before in my classroom and wanted to learn something new in this course. It is very easy to use, the students enjoy it and it is easy to use either as a class warm-up for a new unit or lesson or as an exit ticket for students to quickly share what they have learned providing an opportunity for quick data analysis.

  •   Zoho Challenge: https://challenge.zoho.com/
    • I kept trying to open this site but kept saying an add-on or that a proxy server was unavailable. Thus I was not able to dig deeper into this environment.
  • Quizlet: http://quizlet.com/
    • This is another learning tool that I have used before. I have made flash card quizlets that students have had to complete as a part of STAAR testing preparation. Since I know how to use it decided to go ahead and not use it at this time.
  •  ClassMarket: http://www.classmarker.com/
    • This is an application that I may look into for further use. I like that it is secure, provided real time data analysis and shows the author of the test/quiz the number of attempts, times and other analytics useful when preparing future lessons.
  •  Blubbr: http://www.blubbr.tv/index.php#.VQhzP-Envo0
    • This site looks like a lot of fun and something that students could engage with. I can see myself using this a project piece in which students could create Blubbr’s as part of their assignment for other students to complete after viewing group presentations.
  • PollEverywhere: http://www.polleverywhere.com/
    • I have participated in these quick polls before and have been fun and engaging.  I have seen them used in meetings, teacher workshops, and other professional developments. I do not like them because they work better on phones and I discourage phone use in my classroom. Yet they would be great for quick input when students are board from the at times needed direct instruction lessons. 

3 comments:

  1. I loved how user friendly you survey was! I actually had to think about some of the questions! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the survey. Surveys are great tools to track your audience. I think that you should implement surveys and suggestion questionairres each week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The survey was quick and to the point. I like the way the choices were phrased in that it made me think about the use of technology in the classroom in a different way. Good job!

    ReplyDelete